Rayburn House Office Building (In Video at 2.25 seconds)
Completed in 1965, the Rayburn Building is the newest and largest of the three office buildings constructed for the House of Representatives. It contains 169 three-room suites for members, nine standings committee rooms, 16 subcommittee rooms, 51 committee staff rooms, and support facilities such as a cafeteria, post office, gymnasia, and a 1,600 car garage.
Ford House Office Building (In Video at 18.5 seconds)
The Ford House Office Building was constructed in 1939 as Washington’s first “General Federal Office Building,” which was conceived as an economical, all-purpose facility to house New Deal workers. After being used by the FBI for years it was declared surplus property and acquired by Congress in 1975.
Today it is occupied mainly by staff of various committees of the House of Representatives, the Congressional Budget Office, and the
Architect of the Capitol.
Longworth House Office Building (In Video at 35.5 seconds)
The Longworth Building was the second office structure built for the House of Representatives. Planning for the building began in 1925, only 17 years after the first office building was finished. The growth of the nation and the subsequent increase in the congressional workload put increasingly heavy demands on existing facilities.
Cannon House Office Building (In Video at 43.75 seconds)
Of the three major office buildings used by the House of Representatives, the Cannon Building is the oldest and the most imposing. It was designed by the famous New York architectural firm of Carrère & Hastings in the French inspired Beaux Arts style. While undeniably grand in its scale and materials, the design was politely deferential to the neighboring Capitol.