Dirksen Senate Office Building Overview
Following a sweeping reorganization of the Senate's committee system in 1946, which saw a dramatic increase in its professional staff, it became necessary to provide additional office space to accommodate the growth of committee business. In 1948 the government acquired the city block east of the Russell Building and began planning a new Senate office building. The architectural firm of Eggars & Higgins, successor to the famous John Russell Pope practice, was hired to design the building.
Construction of the Senate's second office building was held up to allow for adjustments to lower costs, and further delayed because of the Korean conflict. Construction finally began in 1955 and it was occupied three years later. The final cost was $26.3 million. In 1972 it was named for Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen of Illinois.